The Mao Ancestral Hall which was the main ancestral hall of the Mao clan in Shaoshan, was built from 1758 to 1763. The building is in the structure of brick and wood, with green brick and tile, covering the total area of nearly 700 square meters.
In the autumn of 1921, the advanced intellectuals in Shaoshanchong, Maoluzhong, Maojianchen set up a school of the Mao clan. In order to launch the peasant movement in Shaoshan, between the early spring and mid autumn in 1925, Mao Zedong and his wife Yang Kaihui came back to Shaoshan, and made use of clan school to start Peasant's Night School which was the earlisest peasant's night school in Shaoshan.
During the War of Resistance Against Japan (1937-1945), the Chinese Communist Party Branch launched a library and the site of CPC in Shaoshan, Xiangtan County District,Qugongsuo(District Public Office) and Cultural Centers in Shaoshan District during the initial post-liberation period.
The related local authorities made a great maintenance in order to keep its original appearance in 1920th and opened to the outside. At the beginning of 1980th, it was approved to be historical and cultural relics unit under protection by People's Government.