Changsha Aiwan Pavilion(Love Dusk Pavilion on Yuelu Mountain) is located in Qingfeng Gorge of Yuelu Mountain, being ringed on three sides by montains.
Changsha Aiwan Pavilion was first built in 1792 and was founded by Luo Dian, president ofYueluAcademy. It owned a name-Hongye Pavilion originally. Governor-general of Hu-Guang changed its name to Changsha Aiwan Pavilion according to some verse written by a famous Tang Dynasty poet Du Mu. Changsha Aiwan Pavilion gradually formed present pattern after multiple major repair in successively Tongzhi, Guangxu, Xuantong, Republic of China and after the foundation of China.
Nowadays, Changsha Aiwan Pavilion, Old Tipplers Pavilion (Built in 1046, in Chuzhou City, Anhui Province), Mid-Lake Pavilion (Built in 1552, in West Lake, Hangzhou) and Taoran Pavilion (built in 1695, in Beijing) are known as provincial culture and relic sites and four well-known pavilions in China.
Aiwan Pavilion was destroyed during anti-Japanese war period and was rebuilt in 1952, and heavily repaired in 1987. A monument was set up then, with Chairman Mao’s holograph. Changsha Aiwan Pavilion has great influence on pavilions’ building in China. It can also be seen as a classical architecture among pavilions.
Translated by Becky